Sarah PettyPhotographer and Founder of The Joy of Marketing
As a child, Sarah Petty did not exist in photographs. Not many, anyway. It was certainly not for lack of love that her parents didn’t document her childhood. They were too busy keeping her older brother away from lawnmowers and power tools…and before they know it, she was six feet tall with her own portrait studio.
Sarah’s goal as a photographer became clear over ten years ago when she started her studio: to celebrate children at every age, to unveil the spirit of a child in her images and to help families decorate their worlds with highly personal artwork. Artwork that matters.
Summary of Discussion Topics:
- Changes in the photography industry including the digital shift, consumer mindset and market shifts.
- How to encourage your clients to avoid being part of the “Lost Generation”.
- The importance of positioning your photography as home decor and wall art from the beginning, instead of just pretty pictures.
- How to know if someone is not your client, and when to refer them to someone else.
- The importance of attracting the right clients with your marketing.
- Confidence and believing in yourself and your products as the first step to being successful.
- Language and processes to use when discussing pricing with new clients.
- The importance of discussing pricing up front and setting your clients expectations with regards to prints.
- Defining “expensive” as inexpensive for your clients by providing context and establishing value.
- How to know if your marketing is too generic and how to make yourself stand out of the crowd.
- How to figure out what makes you different by asking your clients and your audience.
- Photography packages vs. a la carte pricing – which is better for you?
- How to examine your processes, procedures and specialties to price for profit.
- The importance of incentivizing and packaging around your average sales.
- Designing your pricing model strategically and with intent depending on where you and your business are at, your clients, and your comfort level.
The first all-in-one solution for photographers.
Sprout Studio is the photography industry's first and only all-in-one system built by photographers for photographers. Sprout Studio brings together all the tools you need to run a successful photography business - tools that help you stay organized, save you time and streamline your workflow! .
Links and Resources:
- This week’s recommended resource: SEO Cookbook for Photographers
- Zach Prez’s interview on the Sprouting Photographer Podcast
- Sarah Petty’s Website, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn
- The Joy of Marketing Website and Pricing Tips Free Resource
- Sally Hogshead’s Sprouting Photographer Podcast on How the World Sees You