Ashlyn CarterCalligrapher & Copywriter for Creatives
Ashlyn writes meaningful words as a calligrapher & copywriter for creatives. She left her job as a publicist to go full-time with her calligraphy biz for brides—and realized there were lots of creatives fumbling with their message and sales copy (you can take the girl out of the PR agency … ).
Trading clients like Delta Air Lines and Chick-fil-A to writing website copy and launch copy for creative industry entrepreneurs like Jenna Kutcher, Katelyn James, Hilary Rushford and Justin & Mary Marantz is just the bee’s knees. Her calligraphy has been featured in Southern Weddings and The Knot. When not writing about herself in the third person, she’s usually trying to scratch the ink off her fingernails or grabbing margs and tacos with her husband.
Summary of Discussion Topics:
- Creating copy with meaning is so important when trying to gain customers on the web.
- Photographers are often so visually driven that they think of copy as an afterthought.
- The words on your marketing materials should be crafted to coach a conversion, to seal the deal and have someone sign up to work with you.
- Look at the market you work in and analyze how people are behaving with your site. If many people are spending time on your site but not converting you could need some copy changes.
- Identify pain points for your customers. Show your customers that you’re the one for the job. Don’t always lead with your resume.
- Figure out how to speak to your clients. See the customer journey directly through their eyes.
- Do transition interviews with your clients. Find out and understand how they are feeling. Collect feedback, gain insight and adjust your process as needed.
- Avoid being overly jargon-ey and using industry technobabble. The average consumer won’t quite get it and you may drive them away from your site.
- Don’t be intimidated by copywriting. There are so many simple copy tools, templates and blueprints for you to work with to enhance your marketing materials.
- Learn how to tell better stories. Engage with your clients and create conflict.
The first all-in-one solution for photographers.
Sprout Studio is the photography industry's first and only all-in-one system built by photographers for photographers. Sprout Studio brings together all the tools you need to run a successful photography business - tools that help you stay organized, save you time and streamline your workflow! .
Links and Resources:
Ray Edwards Podcast