James MaherPortrait & Studio Photographer in New York
James is a lifelong New Yorker, and like many Manhattanites, he is a terrible driver and cook; however, he is an excellent navigator and knows where to find the best Chinese takeout. James has devoted himself to his photography business in New York since 2005. His fine-art photography has been sold and licensed to collectors and companies globally, including Tiffany & Co. and G-Star RAW, he works with various businesses as a portrait and studio photographer in New York, he is a regular contributor (both photographic and written work) to a variety of websites and magazines, and as a certified New York tour and workshop guide, he frequently leads photography workshops. He has also had a multi-year regular feature for the NY Daily News reporting on different neighborhoods of the city through street portraits and interviews with locals.
James has also been working on a documentary project since 2012, which consists of nearly 150 portraits and in-depth interviews primarily with long-time residents, business owners, and employees in the East Village neighborhood of New York City. The project has become a historical account of the mid-to-late 20th Century of one of the most vibrant and lively neighborhoods in the city.
Summary of Discussion Topics:
- The benefit of having a good split between online and local marketing
- Where to start with local marketing
- Why you should make an announcement that you’re in business
- Why having a mailing list is an effective tool to use to grow your business
- Giving a purpose to your announcements and mailing lists
- What to put in your announcement email
- How to build your email list
- How to come up with ideas for local promotions or campaigns
- How to partner with local blogs, magazines, newspapers or other resources who already have an audience
- Why it’s best to focus on relationships and not “pitching” for networking opportunities
- How relationships can be at the core of your marketing efforts
How social proof can work for you in building a networking/marketing plan
The first all-in-one solution for photographers.
Sprout Studio is the photography industry's first and only all-in-one system built by photographers for photographers. Sprout Studio brings together all the tools you need to run a successful photography business - tools that help you stay organized, save you time and streamline your workflow! .