Skip CohenIndustry Advisor & Godfather of Photography
Skip is the past President/CEO of Rangefinder Publishing Inc. responsibility for Rangefinder Magazine, AfterCapture Magazine, the WPPI Convention & Trade Show. Skip has served as president of Hasselblad USA for twelve years. He has been a guest editor and consultant for Photo District News, educational consultant for PhotoPlus Expo, and editorial contributor for Resource Magazine and writes for the new Shutter Magazine. He has served as Industry Advisor and Board member for associations like Professional Photographers of America, IAEPUB and ViewBug. Skip is the recipient of numerous awards and has co-authored six books on photography.
In 2009 he founded Marketing Essentials International a consulting, educational and marketing company for photographer and vendors in the photographic industry. A year later, with Scott Bourne, he co-founded “GoingPro” a blog, podcast and later a book supported by Random House for aspiring professional photographers.
In January, 2013 he launched SkipCohenUniversity.com, now considered one of the fastest growing sites and blogs in professional photography. The site is an educational resource center for aspiring and working professional photographers. Skip also teaches regular workshops on marketing and business.
Summary of Discussion Topics:
- The power of networking and developing industry relationships.
- Rule of thumb: Make make 1 new relationship per convention.
- How business standards are no different than they were 20 years ago.
- The importance of constantly expanding your skill set throughout the duration your career.
- Remembering technology is simply a tool used to practice your skills.
- How the internet has broadened the market for photography clients and what that means for you.
- Drawing out the roadmap and journey for YOUR individual success.
- Defining what success means to you.
- Can anyone become a successful photographer?
- Don’t underestimate the power of special projects in your photography business.
- How to know if you should continue to pursue your dream in photography.
- Giving yourself permission to be critical of your goals, and of your success.
- You have to work hard and pay your dues if you want to truly be successful.
The first all-in-one solution for photographers.
Sprout Studio is the photography industry's first and only all-in-one system built by photographers for photographers. Sprout Studio brings together all the tools you need to run a successful photography business - tools that help you stay organized, save you time and streamline your workflow! .