Darlene HildebrandtPhotographer and Instructor
Darlene Hildebrandt is the creator of Digital Photo Mentor. She has been a professional photographer for over 25 years, and photography instructor since 2011. She has written for and has been published on websites and in newspapers around the world, and is currently also the Managing Editor of Digital Photography School.
Darlene provides valuable articles on her site and offers photography travel tours as well as online courses including her brand new one: Portrait Lighting on Location – Your Guide to Using Natural Light and Off-Camera Flash.
Summary of Discussion Topics:
- The importance of learning foundational photography elements throughout your career.
- The low barrier to entry for photography can cause an isolation factor.
- How photography education has changed and is more accessible than ever before.
- The photographer’s career path and the necessary evils to keep your business in business.
- Why if you want to have a successful business you have to have a solid handle on sales and marketing.
- What you may be doing wrong in your business including: pricing too low and website errors.
- The importance of keeping in mind your client’s perceptions better better and “best”.
- Did you make your website for yourself or your clients?
- Top tips when starting out – why you need to have insurance and sign a contract with EVERY client.
- Starting with the basics vs. jumping into the deep-end.
- Can you learn or acquire an “artistic eye” or become “gifted” in photography?
- How being a professional photographer versus an amateur compares to athletes vs. olympians.
- Who enjoys photography more – the professional or the amateur?
- What qualifies someone as being a “professional” photographer versus “amateur”?
- How adapting an amateur mindset as a professional photographer can help you in many ways.
- The power of personal projects in the digital age.
The first all-in-one solution for photographers.
Sprout Studio is the photography industry's first and only all-in-one system built by photographers for photographers. Sprout Studio brings together all the tools you need to run a successful photography business - tools that help you stay organized, save you time and streamline your workflow! .
Links and Resources:
- Darlene’s Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn
- Digital Photo Mentor and Photography Travel Tours Websites
- Darlene’s Lighting Course: Get 25% off using the code sprouting25; or Free Lesson on Lighting Patterns
- Digital Photography School